Netflix regularly loses licensed third-party content, but did you know a number of original branded Netflix content has also been lost? Here is the most current list of all the original Netflix movies and series that have left Netflix so far.
To find out why Netflix Original titles are leaving, they usually fall into one of several categories.
- The majority leave because they’re not owned by Netflix. Instead, they are exclusively distributed internationally by Netflix for a set period of time.
- Second, it can be temporary or permanent licensing problems. For example, Defeat bugs Briefly left due to licensing issues, while Slasher was removed because the show’s owner went bankrupt.
- Third, some titles that are time specific. This includes, for example, New Years countdowns.
- Finally, you may find that Netflix Originals are being removed from some regions due to laws or opt-out requests. We’ll cover these at the end.
Netflix originals have been removed due to licensing from Netflix
Now let’s go through the list of Netflix Originals removed (we may have overlooked some but will update this over time).
- The Killing (Seasons 1-4) – Removed August 2018 – Despite the revival of the series, Fox decided to put the show’s first three seasons on Hulu.
- River (Season 1) – Removed October 2019 – International rental only for the BBC series.
- Estocolmo (Season 1) – Removed November 2019 – Argentinian series that Netflix ran internationally.
- Happy Valley (seasons 1-2) – Removed March 2020 – Another BBC series that Netflix will only distribute internationally for a limited time.
- Chewing gum (seasons 1-2) – Removed April 2020 – Netflix only served as an international distributor and lost its rights after a set deadline.
- Schlitzer (seasons 1-3) – Removed April 2020 – Removed as Kew Media Group goes bankrupt. Eventually came back, however, but the future season goes to Shudder.
- Fall (Season 1) – Removed in May 2020 – The Chilean series Netflix will be broadcast internationally.
- cannabis – French TV series – Removed June 2020
- Hotel Beau Séjour – Removed June 2020
- NSU German History X (Limited Series) – Removed July 2020
- Russell Peters: Notorious – Removed in October 2020
- Russell Peters versus the world – Removed in October 2020
- Nobel – Norwegian – Removed November 2020
- Four seasons in Havana – removed December 2020
- Merli – Catalan – Removed December 2020
- Pacific Heat (Season 1) – removed December 2020
- Blockbusters – French – removed January 2021
- Knight of Sidonia – Japanese – Removed January 2021 – Removed several times in the past.
- The 4th Company (2016) – Removed in April 2021
- The little Prince – May 2021 removed May
- LEGO Friends: The Power of Friendship (2016) – June 2021 removed
- LEGO: Friends: Happy Birthday! (2017) – June 2021 removed
- Chadwick Boseman: Portrait of an Artist – Removed in June 2021 after debuting in April 2021
- Cooking at full speed – June 2021 removed
- Heavy Rescue: 401 – June 2021 removed
- Magi: Adventures of Sindbad – Planned removal in July 2021
We’ve been told that this list will continue to grow exponentially over time as Netflix doesn’t necessarily hold the distribution rights to much of its library.
Netflix originals have been removed due to government deactivations
The most famous example of directing Netflix to remove content is the Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj. A dissident episode in the country was withdrawn in January 2019.
The following titles have been removed from Netflix Singapore and have been removed from several other regions as well.
- The last hangover
- The temptation of Christ
- Cooking at full speed
This is the current list. We’ll continue to build this over time as other Netflix originals leave the service.